©Reuters--Slain photographer Sabah al-Bazee

Sabah al-Bazee, an Iraqi freelance photographer who has contributed to Reuters since 2004, was among 50 people who died yesterday in an attack on a government building in Tikrit, the wire service has reported.

The 30-year-old photographer, who also worked as a cameraman for other news organizations, died along with the other victims after gunmen set off car bombs and other explosives before storming a building that houses the provincial council in Tikrit.

“I wish to convey our sadness at the untimely death of Sabah al-Bazee,” said Reuters Editor-in-Chief Stephen Adler. “He was a valued member of our team in Iraq and will be much missed by colleagues. This tragic incident shows yet again the risks journalists face daily in doing their jobs and to bring news to the world.”

Iraq remains at the top of the Committee to Protect Journalists’ list of “20 Deadliest Countries.” CPJ says it has confirmed that 147 journalists have died in Iraq since 1992 as a result of reprisals or while carrying out a dangerous assignment.

Tags:

COMMENTS

MORE POSTS

Eight Photographers Win Reuters Photojournalism Grants of $5K

Posted by on Wednesday May 16, 2018 | Awards/Contests/Grants, Photojournalism

Eight photographers have won the first Reuters photojournalism grants of $5,000, the news service announced today. Reuters created the grant program to support “a diverse new generation of photojournalists” who can tell stories from new and different perspectives. Reuters launched the initiative last year at Visa pour l‘image international festival of photojournalism in Perpignan, France.... More