Two photographers were among several journalists arrested in the vicinity of Zuccotti Park, where New York police cleared out Occupy Wall Street protesters early yesterday morning.
Other journalists reported they were roughed up by police and kept at a distance, while TV news helicopters were prevented from covering the police raid on the park from the air.
New York mayor Michael Bloomberg said at a press conference on Tuesday morning that journalists were being prevented from covering the raid “to protect members of the press,” according to a Huffington Post report.
But because journalists were not asking for protection, and were not being attacked by the protesters, many viewed the police action against them as a forced media blackout, intended to prevent coverage that might cast the police in a bad light or generate sympathy for the protesters.
The photographers arrested yesterday included Associated Press photographer Seth Wenig and Paul Lomax of DNAInfo.com, a local news site for Manhattan. Both were arrested shortly after noon near Duarte Square, where some Occupy Wall Street protesters had gathered after the police raid on Zuccotti Park, according to a report from The Guardian newspaper.
DNAInfo reported that Lomax was released after about four hours, and all charges against him were dropped
Police raided Zuccotti Park before dawn on Tuesday, forcing protesters out of the encampment they have occupied for nearly two months. Police then cleared the park of tents, personal effects, and debris. Police said they arrested about 140 protesters in the park while they were clearing it out, and another 50 or 60 people nearby.
Yesterday afternoon, protesters won a court order that allows them to continue their protest in Zuccotti Park, but they will no longer be allowed to set up tents or lie down in the park.
Dutch photojournalist Jeroen Oerlemans, 45, was killed in Sirte, Libya, on October 2 while on assignment for the Belgian magazine Knack and other publications, Al Jazeera reports. His body was taken to Misrata, where a doctor reported that Oerlemans had been shot in the chest by a sniper for ISIS, which has been fighting for... More ›
©Dotan Saguy A former tech entrepreneur now pursuing photography as a second career, Dotan Saguy has gained notice for his project about the vitality, energy and spectacle of Venice Beach. National Geographic, ABC News, and others have published the work online, and Saguy, 46, has been invited to attend both the Missouri Photo Workshop and... More ›
Mary F. Calvert, Kirsten Luce, Katie Orlinsky, Sergey Ponomarev and Jonathan Torgovnik have each won a $10,000 grant from Getty Images through its annual Grants for Editorial Photography program. The program aims to “showcase and support powerful and inspiring photojournalism projects,” says Getty Images, which announced the winners today. Ponomarev, based in Moscow, was recognized for his... More ›