Photographer James Nachtwey confirms that he decided to leave the VII Photo Agency, the cooperative he cofounded in 2001, last fall.  “I disassociated from the agency as a photographer,” Nachtwey tells PDN. He says he told the other members of the agency of his decision at an agency meeting in November. Stephen Mayes, managing director of VII, says  Nachtwey’s photography business is being conducted through his studio.
Nachtwey was one of the original seven member/owners of the agency, which launched September 9, 2001. The others were the late Alexandra Boulat, Ron Haviv, Christopher Morris, Gary Knight, Antonin Kratochvil, and John Stanmeyer.
As the agency approaches its tenth anniversary, it is in the process of expanding its membership and reevaluating its direction. The agency announced after  in June that it would dissolve its VII Network. All members of the Network were asked to reapply for full membership in the agency;  applications are also being accepted by photographers outside of VII.  The deadline for applying to VII is September 9.
“Internally the distinction between owner and non owners [of the agency] will continue,  but in terms of service and the public, it’ll be one group of photographers,” Mayes says.
Mayes says VII’s owner-members will evaluate applications September 20 through 22. While selecting its future members, the owners will also be re-evaluating the direction of the agency. Depending on which photographers they choose to accept into the expanded VII Photo Agency, Mayes says, “The owners will look at themselves and say: ‘If this is VII, what do we want VII to be?’”

COMMENTS

MORE POSTS

Photojournalist Jeroen Oerlemans Killed in Libya

Posted by on Monday October 3, 2016 | Obituary, Photojournalism

Dutch photojournalist Jeroen Oerlemans, 45, was killed in Sirte, Libya, on October 2 while on assignment for the Belgian magazine Knack and other publications, Al Jazeera reports.  His body was taken to Misrata, where a doctor reported that Oerlemans had been shot in the chest by a sniper for ISIS, which has been fighting for... More

Dotan Saguy’s Advice for Shooting Street Photography

Posted by on Friday September 2, 2016 | Photojournalism

©Dotan Saguy A former tech entrepreneur now pursuing photography as a second career, Dotan Saguy has gained notice for his project about the vitality, energy and spectacle of Venice Beach. National Geographic, ABC News, and others have published the work online, and Saguy, 46, has been invited to attend both the Missouri Photo Workshop and... More

Getty Images Awards $50,000 In Grants to Five Photojournalists

Posted by on Thursday September 1, 2016 | Awards/Contests/Grants, Photojournalism

Mary F. Calvert, Kirsten Luce, Katie Orlinsky, Sergey Ponomarev and Jonathan Torgovnik have each won a $10,000 grant from Getty Images through its annual Grants for Editorial Photography program. The program aims to  “showcase and support powerful and inspiring photojournalism projects,” says Getty Images, which announced the winners today. Ponomarev, based in Moscow, was recognized for his... More