Four journalists, including two photographers, who were detained on Tuesday by forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi will soon be released, according to a report just published by GlobalPost.com.
Qaddafi’s chief spokesperson has said the journalists will be taken to Tripoli and released soon, according to GlobalPost, which employs one of the captured journalists as a freelance contributor.
“We are encouraged that a positive end to this situation may be closer at hand,” said GlobalPost President and CEO Philip S. Balboni.
Those detained included freelance photographers Manu Brabo of Spain and Anton Hammerl of South Africa; and reporters James Foley of the online news site GlobalPost and Clare Morgana Gillis, an American freelancer.
Witnesses said the four journalists were taken into custody Tuesday evening in eastern Libya when Qaddafi’s troops stopped their car. Their driver was reportedly released.
According to The New York Times, the witnesses recounted the capture of the journalists to an official from Human Rights Watch and to a New York Times reporter, both of whom are in Libya.
It took time for anyone to figure out who the captured journalists were, the Times noted. Their capture wasn’t reported by news organizations until yesterday, when Human Rights Watch was able to inform GlobalPost that one of its reporters was among those detained.
Human Rights Watch and the Committee to Protect Journalists joined GlobalPost in appealing for the journalists’ release. Former US Congressman Curt Weldon, who is in Tripoli, has also appealed for their release, according to GlobalPost.
Three weeks ago, four journalists for The New York Times--including photographers Lynsey Addario and Tyler Hicks–were captured and detained by Qaddafi’s forces. Although they had a major news organization working for their release, they were held for six days.
Dutch photojournalist Jeroen Oerlemans, 45, was killed in Sirte, Libya, on October 2 while on assignment for the Belgian magazine Knack and other publications, Al Jazeera reports. His body was taken to Misrata, where a doctor reported that Oerlemans had been shot in the chest by a sniper for ISIS, which has been fighting for... More ›
©Dotan Saguy A former tech entrepreneur now pursuing photography as a second career, Dotan Saguy has gained notice for his project about the vitality, energy and spectacle of Venice Beach. National Geographic, ABC News, and others have published the work online, and Saguy, 46, has been invited to attend both the Missouri Photo Workshop and... More ›
Mary F. Calvert, Kirsten Luce, Katie Orlinsky, Sergey Ponomarev and Jonathan Torgovnik have each won a $10,000 grant from Getty Images through its annual Grants for Editorial Photography program. The program aims to “showcase and support powerful and inspiring photojournalism projects,” says Getty Images, which announced the winners today. Ponomarev, based in Moscow, was recognized for his... More ›