©Reuters--Slain photographer Sabah al-Bazee

Sabah al-Bazee, an Iraqi freelance photographer who has contributed to Reuters since 2004, was among 50 people who died yesterday in an attack on a government building in Tikrit, the wire service has reported.

The 30-year-old photographer, who also worked as a cameraman for other news organizations, died along with the other victims after gunmen set off car bombs and other explosives before storming a building that houses the provincial council in Tikrit.

“I wish to convey our sadness at the untimely death of Sabah al-Bazee,” said Reuters Editor-in-Chief Stephen Adler. “He was a valued member of our team in Iraq and will be much missed by colleagues. This tragic incident shows yet again the risks journalists face daily in doing their jobs and to bring news to the world.”

Iraq remains at the top of the Committee to Protect Journalists’ list of “20 Deadliest Countries.” CPJ says it has confirmed that 147 journalists have died in Iraq since 1992 as a result of reprisals or while carrying out a dangerous assignment.

Tags:

COMMENTS

MORE POSTS

Photojournalist Jeroen Oerlemans Killed in Libya

Posted by on Monday October 3, 2016 | Obituary, Photojournalism

Dutch photojournalist Jeroen Oerlemans, 45, was killed in Sirte, Libya, on October 2 while on assignment for the Belgian magazine Knack and other publications, Al Jazeera reports.  His body was taken to Misrata, where a doctor reported that Oerlemans had been shot in the chest by a sniper for ISIS, which has been fighting for... More

Dotan Saguy’s Advice for Shooting Street Photography

Posted by on Friday September 2, 2016 | Photojournalism

©Dotan Saguy A former tech entrepreneur now pursuing photography as a second career, Dotan Saguy has gained notice for his project about the vitality, energy and spectacle of Venice Beach. National Geographic, ABC News, and others have published the work online, and Saguy, 46, has been invited to attend both the Missouri Photo Workshop and... More

Getty Images Awards $50,000 In Grants to Five Photojournalists

Posted by on Thursday September 1, 2016 | Awards/Contests/Grants, Photojournalism

Mary F. Calvert, Kirsten Luce, Katie Orlinsky, Sergey Ponomarev and Jonathan Torgovnik have each won a $10,000 grant from Getty Images through its annual Grants for Editorial Photography program. The program aims to  “showcase and support powerful and inspiring photojournalism projects,” says Getty Images, which announced the winners today. Ponomarev, based in Moscow, was recognized for his... More