Davide Monteleone of Italy has won the $20,000 Aftermath Project Grant for his project “Red Thistle” The Northern Caucasus Journey.” The Aftermath Project, which supports documentary photo projects about regions that have experienced conflict, announced the winner and finalists for the grant on December 14.
Monteleone was previously a finalist for the 2009 Aftermath Project Grant for his work in the Caucasus. Sara Terry, photojournalist and founder of The Aftermath Project, says this is the first time a finalist has gone on to win the grant. “The work he submitted this year showed a remarkable deepening of his work and a much more clearly articulated statement of the aftermath he is seeking to illuminate.”
The Aftermath Project also announced four finalists:
Miquel Dewever-Plana, France: “Guatemala: The Other War”
Elizabeth Herman, US: “Women Warriors: Bangladesh”
Massimo Mastrorillo and Lara Ciarabellini, Italy: “Bosnia y Herzegovina – If Chaos Awakens the Madness”
Carlos Javier Ortiz, US: “Too Young to Die”
The winner and finalists were selected from 155 applicants. An initial screening was done in mid-November by Terry and Lesley Meyer of the Annenberg Space for Photography. The remaining submissions were then judged by Terry; Stephen Mayes, managing director of the VII Photo Agency; Denise Wolff, book editor at Aperture; and Jeff Jacobson, photojournalist and board member of The Aftermath Project.
Images from the grant winner and finalists will be online in early 2011 at www.theaftermathproject.org.
The Aftermath Project grant is supported by the Foundation to Promote Open Society. The Aftermath Project, a non-profit, is also supported by the Compton Foundation and tax-deductible donations from individuals.
Dutch photojournalist Jeroen Oerlemans, 45, was killed in Sirte, Libya, on October 2 while on assignment for the Belgian magazine Knack and other publications, Al Jazeera reports. His body was taken to Misrata, where a doctor reported that Oerlemans had been shot in the chest by a sniper for ISIS, which has been fighting for... More ›
©Dotan Saguy A former tech entrepreneur now pursuing photography as a second career, Dotan Saguy has gained notice for his project about the vitality, energy and spectacle of Venice Beach. National Geographic, ABC News, and others have published the work online, and Saguy, 46, has been invited to attend both the Missouri Photo Workshop and... More ›
Mary F. Calvert, Kirsten Luce, Katie Orlinsky, Sergey Ponomarev and Jonathan Torgovnik have each won a $10,000 grant from Getty Images through its annual Grants for Editorial Photography program. The program aims to “showcase and support powerful and inspiring photojournalism projects,” says Getty Images, which announced the winners today. Ponomarev, based in Moscow, was recognized for his... More ›